06/13/2018: 20 Budget-Friendly Ways to Entertain Your Kids this Summer
As we welcome back longer days, flip flops, warmer weather and summer vacations, many parents of school-age kids will also be emptying their wallets spending more on daycare, summer camps and other seasonal activities. Now if that doesn’t take the wind out of summer’s sails, I don’t know what does.
So to combat the expense that summer brings, Wolf River Community Bank staff members have compiled this list of fun summer activities to do on a budget!
- Go to a local farmers market.
- Put the “screens” away and play a board game.
- Color, paint or play with Playdough.
- Go on a picnic.
- Make a list of all the parks in the surrounding area and make it a goal to visit each one before summer’s over.
- Go for a bike ride.
- Plant a garden and incorporate your fresh veggies into nightly meals.
- Check out the free programming at your local library.
- Pick berries and bake a pie.
- Go to a free outdoor concert or movie. (We sponsor movie nights at Lions Park in Greenville!)
- Visit the local pool or swimming beach.
- Create nature-themed bingo cards and go for a hike, marking squares as you go. The first to get BINGO wins!
- Camp in your backyard – complete with a tent, bonfire and s’mores!
- Fly a kite.
- Paint rocks. These make great decorations in a flower garden!
- Make a dreamcatcher out of colorful yarn and sticks. Add feathers or colorful leaves you find on a hike!
- Go to a zoo or nature center.
- Volunteer to walk dogs at a local animal shelter.
- Set up a lemonade stand.
- Create a waterpark in the backyard, complete with a sprinkler, slip ‘n’ slide, water balloons and kiddie pool!
BONUS ACTIVITY: Visit Wolf River Community Bank and open a kid’s savings account! It’s never too early to teach the importance of financial responsibility! Be sure to grab a cookie on your way out!
We know summer comes and goes in the blink of an eye, but we hope you’re able to enjoy some quality time with your family without breaking the bank!